Skip to Main Content

The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.


Coaching License Requirement

Do I need a license to coach travel soccer in Maryland?

Yes. MSYSA policy states that all head coaches of rostered travel teams in Maryland must meet the following minimum license or higher (including USSF E/D/C/B/A):

  • Introduction to Grassroots Module
  • Two in-person Grassroots course (one must be 11v11 and the other can be 9v9, 7v7, or 4v4)
  • One online Grassroots course across any of the four levels (11v11, 9v9, 7v7, 4v4)

A certificate of attendance will not be accepted as a substitute for a coaching license. 

I have a coaching certification from a different organization. Does that meet the requirement?

Yes! The following equivalents meet the minimum requirement pending review from the MSYSA Technical Director:

  • USSF E + Introduction to Grassroots Module
  • USSF F + Introduction to Grassroots Module + 11v11 Grassroots in-person + one other in-person Grassroots course
  • NSCAA Regional Diploma (Level V/VI) + Introduction to Grassroots Module + one online or in-person Grassroots course
  • United Soccer Coaches 11v11 Pre-National Diploma + Introduction to Grassroots Module + one other online or in-person Grassroots course

I have an international license/certification. Does that meet the requirement?

Yes, foreign coaching licenses and certificates are accepted; however, the license must be submitted to the MSYSA Technical Director for validation.  Validation of foreign certificate/license does not award any license or complete prerequisites for USSF courses.  

Acceptable foreign coaching licenses or certificates: FA Level 1 (+ online Grassroots Module),2, & 3, UEFA Pro, A, & B. All other foreign licenses must be submitted for evaluation. 

Are there any exemptions?

Coaches can obtain a policy exemption to the license requirement for the current season by completing the following steps:

  1. Fill out the Travel Coach Temporary Policy Exemption Form; you will receive a receipt in your email after completing the form.
  2. Send the following items to the MSYSA Technical Director.
    • A copy of your Travel Coach Temporary Policy Exemption Form receipt
    • A copy of your US Soccer online Grassroots Course License PDF (4v4, 7v7, 9v9 or 11v11). License PDF can be found in your DLC profile. Online courses can be completed at home at your own convenience and cost $25. Registration is directly through the US Soccer Digital Learning Center.

All head coaches must meet the minimum license or equivalent by the following season or deadline set by the MSYSA Director of Coaching. Head coaches who fail to meet this minimum requirement in the time frame allotted will not be permitted to appear on a team’s roster. 

Do assistant coaches on travel teams need a license?

No. Only the head coach is required to have a license to coach a travel team. We do however strongly encourage assistant coaches to pursue coaching education!

Coaching Education Waiver

Are there waivers for Grassroots Coaching Education courses?

No. Maryland does not offer waivers for grassroots courses. 

Are there waivers for the USSF "D" course?

No. Maryland does not offer waivers for the USSF "D" course. 

I played in college. Am I eligible for a waiver?

No, playing college DOES NOT qualify a coach for a waiver.

Can I be waived into the "C" or "B" License with professional playing experience?

Yes! For the C License, a minimum of two (2) years playing on a Senior National Team or for a FIFA recognized "1st Division" outdoor professional team. Five (5) years of the same nature are required for a B License.

The information must be reflected in the coaches DLC profile. Official proof of playing experience must be provided via letterhead from the affiliated clubs, leagues, or organizations.