MSYSA is committed to an expanded background check and screening process. Our Policy requires every adult associated with all affiliated organizations who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to children to complete a background screening that includes:
- Maryland Administrative Office of Courts for both the circuit and district courts
- Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services
- State and National Sexual Offender Record Information (SORI)
MSYSA also screens against all necessary external databases, disqualification lists, and disciplinary records.
The following individuals are required to complete a background screening:
- Coaches (all types)
- Board members (Officers, Directors, Administrators, Committee Chairs, Appointees, etc.)
- Trainers (Permanent or Temporary)
- Organization Employees
- Concession Workers
- Tournament Organizers, Employees, Volunteers
- Any other person age 18 or older who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to children.
Background screenings will be conducted as part of the annual registration process within the MSYSA registration solution, and all screenings will have a common expiration date, lessening the need for multiple registration dates.
MSYSA utilizes Gold Standard Best Practice Recommended Guidelines from the National Council of Youth Sports in making eligibility determinations. Click here to see the guidelines.
The registration and background screening process will be managed in GotSport. For more information please visit the Adult Registration Page.
- Background screening is the final stage in Mandatory Compliance. They are initiated by MSYSA ONLY after an individual has completed SafeSport and Concussion training.
- GotSport integrates with JDP to make it easy for individuals to register for their background checks.
- Checks require a VALID social security number. It must be your authentic SSN provided by the Social Security Administration. Those without a valid social security number must contact our Registration Specialist for further instructions.
Background screenings are performed at a cost of $6.50/person.