Consistent with laws and our focus on fighting child abuse, MSYSA is committed to an expanded background check and screening process. Our policy requires every adult associated with all organizations who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to children to complete a background screening that includes:
- Maryland Criminal Records search and check
- National Background search and check (inclusive of State and National Sexual Offender Record Information (SORI))
MSYSA also screens against all necessary external databases, disqualification lists, and disciplinary records.
The following individuals are required to complete a background screening:
- Coaches (all types)
- Board members (Officers, Directors, Administrators, Committee Chairs, Appointees, etc.)
- Trainers (Permanent or Temporary)
- Organization Employees
- Concession Workers
- Tournament Organizers, Employees, Volunteers
- Any other person age 18 or older who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to children.
These checks will be conducted in a streamlined and simple process similar to the one we previously used for Adult Registrations and Maryland Background searches, and each of these searches will have a common expiration date, lessening the need for multiple registration dates.
MSYSA utilizes Gold Standard Best Practice Recommended Guidelines from the National Council of Youth Sports in making eligibility determinations. Click here to see the guidelines.
The registration and background screening process will be managed in GotSport. For more information please visit the Adult Registration Page.
- Background screening is the final stage in Mandatory Compliance. They are initiated by MSYSA ONLY after an individual has completed SafeSport and Concussion training.
- GotSport integrates with JDP to make it easy for individuals to register for their background checks.
- Checks require a VALID social security number. It must be your authentic SSN provided by the Social Security Administration. Those without a valid social security number must contact our Registration Specialist for further instructions.
Background Screening are performed at a of $6.50/person.