Click here to download all 10 6U Sessions Plans as a single PDF file.
It is important for coaches to have a basic understanding of the intellectual, emotional and physical developmental stages of the players that we are coaching in order to make practices run smoothly while also being fun. Here are some typical characteristics of the Under 6 player.
- Focused on themselves - reality to them is based on what they see and feel
- Unable to see the world from another's perspective
- Everything is in the here and now
- Cooling systems are less efficient - need frequent water breaks
- Enjoy playing, not watching. Every player should have a ball in practice
- Limited attention span - keep directions concise and to the point
- Effort is performance - if they try hard, they are doing well
- Active imaginations - utilize their imagination in activities, and they will love practice!
- Look for adult approval - be encouraging when they say "Coach, look what I can do!"
- Unable to think abstractly - spatial relationships are a mystery
- Typically have 2 speeds - extremely fast and stopped
- Usually unaware of game scores - keep it that way
*Special thanks to Massachusetts Youth Soccer for the provided session plan content.*