U8 4v4 Session Plans
Click here to download all 10 U8 Session Plans as a single PDF file.
It is important for coaches to have a basic understanding of the intellectual, emotional and physical developmental stages of the players that we are coaching in order to make practices run smoothly while also being fun. Here are some typical characteristics of the Under 8 player:
- Enjoy playing in pairs
- Are now able to take another’s perspective.
- Still unable to think abstractly – be patient.
- Cooling system still less efficient than adults – still make sure to give frequent water breaks.
- Still prefer playing to watching – keep everyone active during practice.
- Limited attention span
- Have an understanding of time and sequence – “if I do this, then that happens”.
- Some now have a third or fourth speed in addition to stopped and as fast as possible.
- Very aware of adult reactions – be very aware of your reactions.
- Seek out adult approval and need reassurance – be supportive.
- Begin to become aware of peer perception – a social order is beginning to develop.
- Wide range of abilities between children at this age
- Beginning to develop motor memories
- Some become more competitive
- Less active imaginations than U6 players
*Special thanks to Massachusetts Youth Soccer for the provided session plan content*