Frequently Asked Questions:

MSYSA Coaching License Requirement and Coaching Education Waivers


Coaching License Requirement


Do I need a license to coach travel soccer in Maryland?

Yes, the MSYSA Executive Board has adopted a license requirement policy for all Maryland travel team head coaches.  The MSYSA policy states that all head coaches of MSYSA rostered travel teams should have at least a USSF “E” license or its equivalent, the NSCAA Regional Diploma (Level VI).  The MSYSA policy requires all returning travel team head coaches to meet the “E” license or equivalent requirement by the start of the fall 2007 season.  New coaches in their first season as a head coach of a travel team can obtain up to a one-year waiver exemption of the license requirement by contacting the MSYSA Director of Coaching; however, all head coaches must meet the minimum license or equivalent within one calendar year or deadline set by MSYSA Technical Director of their first season coaching a travel team.  Head coaches who fail to meet this minimum requirement will not be permitted to appear on a team’s roster.


Do assistant coaches for a travel team need a license?

No, only the head coach is required to have a license to coach a travel team.


Are foreign coaching licenses/certificates accepted to fulfill the requirement?

Yes, foreign coaching licenses and certificates are accepted; however, the license must be submitted to the MSYSA Director of Coaching for validation.  (Validation of foreign certificate/license does not award a state or national license.)  A certificate of attendance for a coaching course will not be accepted as a substitute for a coaching license.

Acceptable foreign coaching licenses or certificates: FA Level 1,2, & 3, UEFA Pro, A, & B

All other foreign licenses must be submitted to MSYSA for evaluation.



Coaching Education Waiver


Does Maryland offer Coaching Education Waivers?

As of January 1, 2012,  Maryland will NO longer offer waivers due to the fact that US Soccer has changed the E course from a certificate to a license.


If I played college soccer, do I qualify for a waiver?

No, playing college DOES NOT qualify a coach for a waiver.



Can I be waived into the "C" or "B" License with professional playing experience?

Applicants with three (3) years of coaching experience (any level) AND three (3) years playing experience with a Senior National Team or three (3) years of FIFA recognized "1st Division" professional playing experience may be waived into the National "C" License.  Applicants with five (5) years coaching experience (any level) AND five (5) years playing experience with a Senior National Team or five (5) years of FIFA recognized "1st Division" professional playing experience may be waived into the National "B" License.  Documentation of both professional playing experience and coaching experience is required.


What type of documentation do I need to apply for a coaching license waiver for the National "C" or "B" License?

If applying as a professional player, applicant must fill out the USSF Professional Player Waiver Application (.pdf) and submit proof of professional playing and coaching experience.  Please contact the U.S. Soccer Coaching Department at 312-528-1219 or coaches@ussoccer.org with any questions.