Maryland State Youth Soccer has a coaching education program designed to meet your player development guidelines and the curriculum laid out by US Soccer. The program is suited for the new volunteer coach just starting out to those pursuing the highest level in their field
The objectives of MSYSA’s Coaching Education Program is:
- To develop our coaches knowledge and understanding of the game
- To develop world class coaching education materials and classes
- To implement the latest and relevant age appropriate training curriculums and ingenuities to promote long term athlete development
- To foster a culture of coaches whose foundation is built on best practices
- To inspire coaches of all ages to continue their personal and professional development as educators of the game.
- To solidify a coaching education pathway where coaches can enroll and grow through our system.
We also provide resources for all coaches who want more information for themselves, team, parents and clubs.
THE US SOCCER COACHING LICENSE PATHWAY
In an effort to further improve the grassroots soccer environment for both players and coaches, U.S. Soccer has restructured the foundation of its coaching license pathway. The new Grassroots Licensing Courses, which replace the F and E License Courses, offer an a-la-carte approach meant to empower coaches with education that is relevant to their specific coaching needs. The Grassroots Licenses will help coaches ensure fun, enjoyable, and developmentally appropriate environments for their players. Prospective coaches will have the option to partake in any of these new courses – in any sequence – after completing a cost-free, Introduction to Grassroots Coaching Module provided by U.S. Soccer.
The Introduction to Grassroots Coaching Module serves as the first step in obtaining any one of the eight new Grassroots Licenses: four in-person courses and four online courses across the four grassroots levels: 4v4, 7v7, 9v9, 11v11. The eight course options relate directly to small-sided games and the respective age-groups outlined in the U.S. Soccer Player Development Initiatives.
How to Advance in the Coaching Pathway
A unique combination of three of the eight Grassroots Licenses (replacing the E and F Licenses) now formally represent the prerequisite to progress to the U.S. Soccer D License.
New coaches will use the U.S. Soccer Learning Center to sign up for, and complete, a minimum of three grassroots courses, in the form of two in-person courses and one online course:
- Two in-person courses (one of which must be the 11v11)
- One online course across any of the four levels (4v4, 7v7, 9v9, 11v11)
Previously Licensed Coaching candidates who have already completed or begun to take the E or F License courses will have the following opportunities to use those certifications toward the D License prerequisites:
- U.S. Soccer E License + Introduction to Grassroots Coaching Module
- U.S. Soccer F License + Introduction to Grassroots Coaching Module + 11v11 in-person license + one other in-person license